ĐỀ CƯƠNG ÔN TẬP HỌC KỲ II- TIẾNG ANH 10
NĂM HỌC: 2018-2019
Choose the word that has the underlined (letters) pronounced differently from the others.
1. A. gulf B. surface C. submarine D. current
A. ocean B. undersea C. beneath D. deep
A. poor B. tour C. actual D. group
A. tiny B. device C. krill D. migrate
A. think B. depth C. further D. breath
Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others.
6. A. maintain B. marine C. challenge D. device
7. A. investigate B. information C. submarine D. independent
8. A. organism B. environment C. temperature D. satellite
9. A. carnivore B. entrapment C. technology D. Atlantic
10. A. secret B. ocean C. migrate D. herbicide
Choose the word or phrase that could best explain the underlined word or phrase.
11. If modern technology did not exist, we would never have such precious information.
A. valuable B. precise C. confidential D. detailed
12. Some marine animals are dangerous to humans.
A. living in the mountain B. living in the ocean
C. living in the forest D. living in the house
13. The floor was covered in tiny pieces of paper.
A. unimportant B. many C. very large D. extremely small
14. Sperm whales and sharks are carnivores.
A. animals that live in the sea B. animals that only eat plants
C. fish that aren"t born from eggs D. animals that eat meat
15. We enjoyed the warm water of the Gulf of Thailand.
A. a small sea B. a large area of sea that is partly surrounded by land
C. a part of the sea enclosed by a wide curve of the shore
D. a large area of water surrounded by land
16. We had an accidental meeting with an old friend at the party last night.
A. unpleasant B. unexpected C. unlucky D. unacceptable
17. Whales feed on krill.
A. tiny shellfish B. small fish C. sea plants D. small animals
18. ___________ is the variety of different types of plant and animal life in a particular region.
A. Interaction B. Herbicide C. Environment D. Bio-diversity
19. There is a large ___________ of animals that live in Nairobi National Park.
A. vary B. various C. varied D. variety
20. Sperm whale population is at risk due to hunting.
A. in extinction B. in danger C. on the decrease D. in fewness
Choose the best option
21. You"ve been coughing a lot lately. You___________ smoke so much.
A. shouldn"t B. can"t C. should D. can
22.What would Tom do if he ___________ the truth?
A. would know B. has know C. knows D. knew
23. If I ___________ you, I wouldn’t buy that coat.
A. am B. was C. were D. would be
24. You___________ Mark. You know it’s a secret.
A. should tell B. shouldn’t tell C. couldn’t tell D. might tell
25. If Lien ___________ a raincoat, she wouldn’t get a cold.
A. wears B. wore C. has worn D. had worn
26. I"m not an astronaut. If I___________ an astronaut, I ___________ my camera with me on the rocket ship.
A. am/ will take B. were/ would take
C. were/ had taken D. were/ would have taken
27. If I ___________ in your position, I would not accept her offer.
A. am B. were C. would be D. had been
28. Tom really___________ go out. He has too much homework to do.
A. can"t B. shouldn"t C. would D. should
29. What would you do if you___________ a million dollars?
A. win B. won C. had won d. will win
30. If you exercised more, you ___________ feel better.
A. don’t B. didn’t C. will D. would
31. Dennisused tosmoking a lot a year ago.
A B C D
32. The houseshave beendecorate very beautifully.
A B C D
33. Both you or I have to help weak students of our class.
A B C D
34. If I pass this exam, I would go to the university next September.
A B C D
35. My car, that I have ownedfor five years, is a Ford.
A B C D
36. He left her house in a hurry without to say goodbye to us.
A B C D
37. If I had money, I will buy a car.
A B C D
38. Would you mind lend me your bike untilnext week?
A B C D
39. The match was cancelled due to the weatherwas bad.
A B C D
40. Unless weworked harder, we would finish on time.
A B C D
Choose the correct option a, b, c or d to complete this, passage.
Dolphins are known as marine (41) ______they breathe air, they are warm-blood, and they bear live young ones called (42) ______
The size of dolphin is very greatly. (43)______ smallest dolphins are just about 50 kg in weight and 1.2 meters in length (44) ______the largest one can weigh up to 8.200 kg and is 10 meters long.
Dolphins are sociable creatures. They swim together in group known as (45) ______They show great ability in the water. Dolphins are interested (46) ______humans and often rescue people in the sea (47) ______are in danger. They are intelligent creatures and make sounds to (48)_____ with each other. Scientists have studied dolphins (49) _____many years and are now looking into the possibility of dolphins that are able to carry (50) _____ tasks under the sea.
41. A. fish B. creatures C. mammals D. life
42. A. babies B. calves C. young D. diets
43. A. A B. An C. The D. And
44. A. when B. as C. while D. since
45. A. currents B. flocks C. herds D. teams
46. A. in B. at C. on D. of
47. A. which B. whose C. when D. who
48. A. talk B. communicate C. contact D. connect
49. A. in B. since C. for D. during
50. A. out B. in C. of D. with
Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from that of the others.
1. A. probably B. valuable C. bomb D.baby
2. A. campfire B. part C. animal D. natural
3. A. species B. destruction C. constant D. sickness
Choose the word that has the main stress placed differently from the others.
4. A. endanger B. disappear C. prohibit D. destruction
5. A. industrial B. environment C. agriculture D. responsible
6. A. introduce B. peacefully C. consequence D. influence
Choose A,B,C,or D that best completes each unfinished sentence or substitutes the underlined part :
7. Many organizations have been set up and funds have been raised.
A. established B. collapsed C. delayed D. decreased
8. Laws have been introduced to prohibit the killing of endangered animals.
A. advised B. decreased C. ban D. encouraged
9. The……..is the air, water land in or on which people animals and plants live.
A . consequence B. environment C. planet D. resource
10. Many national parks have been established……………endangered animals.
A. to save B. to kill C. to protect D. to ban
11. Many rare…….. of animals are in danger of extinction.
A. species B. classes C. being D. pairs
12. People are destroying the air by adding…….to it
A. polluted B. pollutions C. polluters D. pollutants
13.Rain forest are places…… people harvest wood, delicious fruits, and powerful medicine.
A. in which B. in that C. in where D. which
14. The heavy rain has caused ……….. in many parts of the country.
A. crops B. floods C. water D. soil
15.The authority gathered those villagers………….they explained the importance of forests . A. who B. whom C. to whom D. to that
16. He …….. the details of his uncle’s will.
A. was given B. gave C. gives D. being given
For a long time, the earth ………. to be flat.
A. had believed B. had been believing C. was believed D. was been believed
6. Sperm whale populations are at risk due to hunting.
A. in extinction B. in danger C. on the decrease D. in fewness
They advised that part-time workers should ………….
A. be employing B. have been employ
C. employ D. be employed
20. He expected us ……….. him a job.
A. offering B. to offer C. offer D. to be offered
21. More and more rare animals are..................danger of extinction.
A. for B. on C. at D. in
22. Deforestation is destroying large areas of tropical rain forest.
A. changing B. raising C. becoming D. damaging
23. Do you know exactly....................number of Siberian tigers in China ?
A. a B. an C .the D. no article needed
24. Linda: Excuse me. Where’s the post office?
A. It’s over there. B. I’m afraid not. C. Don’t worry. D. Yes, I think so.
25. Peter: How often do you go to school?
A. I go there early. B. Every day except Sunday.
C. I don’t think so. D. I go there by bus.
26. A: “ Would you like to go to the movies tonight ?”
- B: “…………………..”
A. No I don’t like B. Yes I’d like C. Of course D. I’d love to
27. Human beings are changing the environment ............. all respects.
A. at B. for C. in D. upon
28. The sick man ……………… to the hospital.
A. took B. has taken C. being taken D. was taken
29. A: Why do you ask me about the party ?
B: I ……………. to it.
A. was not invited B. didn’t invite C. not invited D. was not been inviting
30. The people in our village are leading a …………..life.
A. peace B. peaceful C. peacefully D. peacefulness
Choose the correct sentences which has the same meaning as the given one
31. help / saving / recycling / mainly / by / energy / the environment /.
The environment helps saving energy mainly by recycling.
Energy helps recycling mainly by the environment saving.
Recycling helps the environment mainly by saving energy.
Saving energy helps mainly by recycling the environment.
32.The park/ one/ America’s greatest/ wildness areas
It is that the park one of America’s greatest wildness areas
The park which is one of America’s greatest wildness areas
It is the park one of America’s greatest wildness areas
The park is one of America’s greatest wildness areas
33. at least 600,000 visitors/ come/ visit/ the park/ every year
There are at least 600,000 visitors come to visit the Park every year
At least 600,000 visitors who come to visit the Park every year
At least 600,000 visitors come to visit the Park every year
There were at least 600,000 visitors come to visit the Park every year
34. The prices of the services/ reasonable/ every pockets
The prices of the services which are reasonable for every pockets
As the prices of the services are reasonable for every pockets
The prices of the services are reasonable for every pockets
The prices of the services that are reasonable for every pockets
35. The Royal National Park/ New South Wales, Australia
The Royal National Park it is in New South Wales, Australia
The Royal National Park, which is in New South Wales, Australia
The Royal National Park is in that New South Wales, Australia
D. The Royal National Park is in New South Wales, Australia
Choose the underlined part A, B, C, or D that needs correcting.
36. It’s difficult for me decide whether I should accept the job or not .
A B C D
37.” How many rice doyou want ?” “ A kilo , please.”
A B C D
38. In summer , Peter usually playsthe tennisevery day.
A B C D
39. Peoplecanuse to music to express their emotions.
A B C D
40. Musicplaysan importance part in our life.
A B C D
Choose the word among A, B, C, D that best fits the blank in the following passage:
Wild animals play an important part in the balance of nature, and (41) ….. us with many important products. Birds and other small animals help control (42) ……. Wild animals provide fur, food, and recreation. They (43) …… make our surrounding more interesting.
Uncontrolled hunting (44) …… destroyed much wildlife. People have also harmed animals by destroying their habitats. Many animals, such as the passenger pigeon, have disappeared completely. Others, including the whopping crane, the blue whale, and the American alligator, are in danger of dying (45) …….
41. A- supply B- provide C- help D- give
42. A- insects B- snakes C- butterflies D- worms
43. A- too B- either C- as well D- even
44. A- was B- had C- has D- have
45. A- away B- off C- down D- out
Read the passage carefully, thenchoose the correct answers.
Wild animals (and wild plants) and the wild places where they live are seriously threatened almost everywhere. One species has become extinct in each year of this century. But many hundreds are now in danger. Lack of attention would lead to the rapid advance of the process of extinction.
Already many kinds of wild animals has been so reduced in number that their role in the ecosystem is forgotten. Animals like the great apes, the whales, seals etc. thought to be in danger of extinction.
But even more important, perhaps than individual kinds of animals and plants, whole habitats are in danger of vanishing: marshes are being drained, and the world forests, especially tropical forests are being cut down to satisfy man’s needs of timber and paper.
What would our world be like if all the wild animals and wild plants vanished? - Would our life still exist then?
46. What would happen to the human beings if the wild life vanished?
A. Many species would quickly become extinct. B. Tropical forests would be cut down.
C. The human life would be seriously threatened. D. Species would go on dying out.
47. What is more important than individual kinds of animals and plants?
A. The vanishing of whole habitats. B. The extinction of many species.
C. The rapid advance of the process of extinction. D. Man’s need of timber and paper
48. What does the writer caution us against?
A. cutting down the tropical forests. B. hunting wild animals.
C. draining marshes. D. destroying our environment.
49. What would happen if we cut down forests?
-.> Cutting down forests would cause ……………..
A. the changes of temperature. B. the flood
C. both A and B are correct. D. none are correct.
50. “To threaten” in the passage means …………..
A. to pollute C. to vanish
B. to give fearto D. to poison
Choose the word that has the underlined syllable pronounced different from the others.
1. A. worked B. hoped C. watched D. lived
2 A. invader B. destroy C. spend D. soldier
3. A. nature B. toxic C. plant D. contain
4 A. played B. missed C. called D. moved
5 A. nation B. tourist C. study D. return
Choose the word whose main stress is placed different from the others.
6. A. ethnic B. explore C. orphan D. fauna
7. A. dependent B. survival C. minority D. recognize
8. A. temperature B. chemical C. habit D. location
9. A. abandon B. national C. wilderness D. butterfly
10 .A. establish B. disaster C. tropical D. dependent
Choose the best answer (A, B, C or D) that best completes each sentence.
11. Cuc Phuong National Park __________ over 200 square kilometers of rainforest.
A. contains B. gets C. hold D. covers
12. An interesting ______of this park is Orphanage, where orphaned animals are taken care of.
A.advantage B.feature C.area D.zone
13. A child who has lost one or both of his parents by death is called ________ child.
A. an abandoned B. an orphan C. a homeless D.orphanage
14.The _________ has threatened many of animals in this park.
A.rainforest B. population C. increase D.contamination
15. They went camping in the beautiful _________ of the rainforest.
A.wildlife B. wildness C.wild D.wilderness
16. This park was _________ before World War II
A. set B. located C. established D. stationed
17. We were very _________at his success.
A. surprised B.interested C.keen D.fond
18. One species is dependent __________ another of survival.
A. on B. to C. of D.at
19. My home village is ____________ 40 kilometers north of the capital..
A. located B. held C. laid D. surrounded
20. The cattle drank from a river polluted with toxic chemicals..
A.waste B. colorless C. odorless D. poisonous
21. We _________ to the beach yesterday if the sun had been shining.
A.will go B.would go C.would have gone D. had gone
22. If he _________ up earlier, he ________ to work on time.
A. got / would get B. had got / would get
C. would get / got D. would have got / had got
23. We wouldn’t have been to the cinema_________we hadn’t had ticket.
A. if B. unless C. because of D. in spite of
24. What ________ if you had met him yesterday?
A. did you do B. would you do C. would you have done D. will you do
25. They _________ the farm if they _________ enough money.
A. had enlarged / would have had B. would enlarge / had had
C. enlarged / would have D. would have enlarged /had had
Choose the underlined part (A,B,C or D) that needs correcting.
26. He wouldn’t have known the newsif you had told him.
A B C D
27. I had gone to see you if I’d known what you were ill.
A B C D
28. My brother would buy a sports car if he don’t havethe money.
A B C D
If I have free time next Sunday, I would visit my grandmother.
A B C D
30. If I were you, I would have forgotten about buyinga new car.
A B C D
Choose one sentence that best rewrites the root one.
31. He didn’t work hard, so he failed the exam.
A. If he worked hard, he wouldn’t fail the exam.
B. If he hadn’t worked hard, he would have failed the exam.
C. He would have passed the exam if he had worked hard.
D. He had passed the exam if he would have worked hard.
32. Iwas tired because I stayed up late last night.
A. If I hadn’t stayed up late at night, I wouldn’t have been tired.
B. I hadn’t been tired if I wouldn’t have stayed up lat.
C. If I had stayed up late at night, I would have been tired.
D. I wouldn’t be tired If I didn’t stay up late at night.
33. The shirt didn’t fit me so I didn’t buy it.
A. If the shirt fit me, I will buy it.
B. If the shirt fitted me, I would buy it.
C. If the shirt had fitted me, I would have bought it.
D. I didn’t buy the shirt due to it didn’t fit me.
34. He didn’t know French so he didn’t go to Paris for his holiday.
A. Unless he knew French, he wouldn’t go to Paris for his holiday.
B. If he knew French, he would have gone to Paris for his holiday.
C. If he had gone to Paris, he would have known French.
D. Had he known French, he would have gone to Paris for his holiday.
35. He worked lazily so he was sacked.
A. If he hadn’t worked lazily, he wouldn’t have been sacked.
B. If he workedlazily, he would be sacked.
C. Unless he had worked lazily, he would have been sacked.
D. If he hadn’t worked lazily, he would have been sacked.
36. He didn’t take any medicine so he feels worse now.
A. If he had taken the medicine, he would have felt better now.
B. If he had taken the medicine, he would feel better now.
C. If he took the medicine, he would feel better now.
D. Unless he took the medicine, he wouldn’t feel better now
37. We want to buy that house but we don’t have enough money.
A. Unless we have enough money, we won’t buy that house.
B. We would have bought that house if we had had enough money.
C. If we had enough money, we would have bought that house.
D. If we had enough money, we would buy that house.
38. They couldn’t go home because it stormed terribly.
A. If it hadn’t stormed terribly, they could have gone home.
B. If it didn’t storm terribly, they would go home.
C. It stormed terribly so that they couldn’t go home
D. They couldn’t go home due to terribly storm.
39. Without Jack’s help, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
Jack hadn’t helped, but I could move the table.
Jack didn’t help, so I hadn’t been able to move the table.
If Jack hadn’t helped, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
Had Jack helped, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
40. You wouldn’t have made many mistakes if you had been careful.
A. You didn’t make many mistakes because you weren’t careful.
B. You made many mistakes because you were careful.
C. You were careful, so you didn’t make many mistakes.
. D.You weren’t careful, so you made many mistakes.
Read the following passage and choose best answer ( A,B,C or D ) for each blank.
The ostrich is the (41) _______ bird in the world, and an adult can be more than ninety kilos. Most wild ostriches live in southern Africa, but there are only a (42)_________of them left. Like all birds,
ostriches have wings, (43)________ they cannot fly. They use their wings to help them (44)_________
when they are running. Ostriches can run very fast , from sixty-five to ninety kilometers an hour, so it is
very difficult for (45)_________ animals to catch them.
41. A. large B. larger C. largest D. most largest
42. A.few B. little C. lot D. many
43. A. or B. and C. but D. except
44. A. direct B. change C. alter D. turn
45. A. another B. other C. others D. one other
Read the passage below and choose one best answer for each question.
Parks in our country are wonderful playgrounds and millions of people visit them every year. There
are places where you can camp without charge or you can rent rooms in a hotel. You can take a long walk in the forests, take boat trips, or climb mountains. You are not allowed to hunt in the park, so there are many wild animals. You can fish in the streams of most of the parks. The park keepers sometimes go with the visitors on walks to tell them about the animals, plants, and mountains. They also have programmes and talks at the campgrounds and in the hotels so that people can learn all about the park and the things that are in it.
46. We can camp in the parks _____________.
A. without having to pay anything B. with a small fee
C. if we rent a room in a hotel D. if we visit them every year
47. Which of the following activities is not mentioned in the passage?
A. go for a walk B. go climbing
C. go skiing D. go by boat
48. The word “ streams ” in line 4 is closest in meaning to ______________.
A. small rivers B. ponds C. lakes D. big sea
49. The word “ them ” in line 5 refers to ______________.
A. parks B. visitors
C. park keepers D. animals
50. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. There are many animals in the parks.
B. We can walk and have talks with the park keepers.
C. We are allowed to fish in most of the parks.
D. We can hunt in the parks.
Read the following passage and choose the best answer for each blank.
NOT FOR JAZZ
We have an old (1) __________ instrument. It is called a clavichord. It was made in Germany in 1681. Our clavichord is (2) __________ in the living- room .It has belonged to our family for a long time. The instrument was bought by my grandfather (3) __________ years ago. Recently it was damaged by a visitor .She tried (4) _________ jazz on it! She struck the keys too hard and two of the strings (5) ____________.My father was shocked. Now we are not allowed to touch it. It is being repaired by a friend of my father’s.
1. A. music B. music’s C. musical D. musician
2. A. placed B. set C. kept D. held
3. A. much B. many C. number D. lots
4. A. play B. played C. to play D. to playing
5. A. broken B. breaking C. were breaking D. were broken
Read the passage below and choose one correct answer for each question.
Pop music has always been influenced by other forms of music. An important form is folk music.
Folk songs are the songs composed and sung by country people .The songs may be hundreds of years old, so nobody knows who originally composed them. Modern music is often music for dancing. In Britain it was traditionally played with instruments like flute, accordion, etc.
In the 1950s and 1960s the people who wrote songs and played them with acoustic guitars were also called folk singers. The songs were often “protest songs”, complaining of bad things happening in society.
6. Which form of music is pop music mainly influenced by?
A. classical music B. folk music C. jazz D. rock ‘n’ roll
7. Who were folk songs composed by?
A. countryside people B. city people C. modern musicians D. old singers
8. According to the passage, what is modern music often used for?
A. Singing only B. playing with guitars C. dancing D. forming pop music
9. In the 1956s, what did people play folk songs with?
A. pianos B. flutes C. drums D. guitars
10. Why are folk songs called “protect songs”?
A. Because they are sung by country people.
B. Because they are hundreds of years old.
C. Because nobody knows who originally composed them.
D. Because they complain about bad things happening in society.
Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others.
11. A. answer B. listen C. music D. solemn
12. A. business B. serious C. compose D. easily
13. A. news B. songs C. feelings D. delights
14. A. design B. classical C. music D. museum
15. A. summer B. suitable C. sugar D. Sunday
Choose the word whose stress pattern is different from the others.
16. A. language B. solemn C. event D. rousing
17. A. African B. Westerner C. Mexican D. Vietnamese
18. A. lyrical B. favorite C. emotion D. classical
19. A. composer B. funeral C. musician D. tradition
20. A. entertain B. joyfulness C. serious C. atmosphere
Choose the best answer to complete these sentences.
21. Joe: Who are you?
- Sue: _________
A. How do you do? B. Thank you, Joe C. Fine, thanks D. My name is Sue.
22. Peter: There is no instrument in the house.
- Anne: It doesn’t __________
A. case B. worry C. make anything D. matter
23. Diana: You are going to fail your singing test.
- Jess: ___________
A. It’s the same. B. I don’t care. C. I’m not mind at all. D. It makes nothing.
24. I don’t like this CD. Can I have_________?
A. something else B. something other C. something either D. other thing
25. Chris: Where do you work?
- Evan: In a studio.
- Chris: ____________
A. That must be interesting B. What for? C. It is so … D. When?
26. “Did you go to the concert last night?”
A. Yes, I like. B. Yes, I did. C. No, I don’t D. No, I’m afraid that I have no time
27. Nam: Do you think that song can reach the top chart this week?
A. Yes, I think too. B. Yes, I think so. C. I like it. D. Really?
28. Huong: Hey, I’ve got a poster of that film.
- Van: _______________
A. Where? B. Here it is. C. Oh, I love it. D. I’ve got to go.
29. Bill: Would you like to come to my party?
- Jeff: Is your brother going too?
- Bill: _______
A: Yes, certainly. B. Do you think so? C. Yes, we are. D. I’m thinking of it.
30. Lan: I’ve got a cold.
- Ba: ________
A. Oh dear! B. My dear! C. I regret it! D. Bless you.
Choose the best answer
31. Music in general and pop music in particular makes people ______.
A. excite B. exciting C. excited D. excitement
32. As a nurse, I learned to control my ______.
A. hopes B. emotions C. abilities D. thought
33. Folk music ______ babies to sleep.
A. makes B. wakes C. lulls D. lets
34. Music adds ______ to the atmosphere of a festival.
A. sadness B. joyfulness C. disappointment D. happy
35. Van Cao is one of the most well-known ______ in Vietnam.
A. actors B. authors C. musicians D. singers
36. I’ll post the card today ______ there on my mother’s birthday.
A. to get it B. in order to get it C. so as it gets D. so that it gets
37. Did the teacher explain how ______ this problem.
A. do we solve B. can we solve C. to solve D. solve
38. ______ is it from here to the theatre?
A. How B. How far C. How long D. How often
39. Would you like to go out ______ a meal tonight, Joan?
A. to B. with C. of D. for
40. We started early in order ______ miss the first part of the concert.
A. to not B. not for C. not to D. for no
Identify the one underlined word or phrase (A, B, C, or D) that must be changed for the sentence to be correct.
41. I often switch off the heatingfor saving money.
A B C D
42. Scott Joplin, a well-knownAfrican American piano player, was born in 1868 and had died in 1917. A B C D
43. We gave Nick a map so that he will be able to find the way all right.
A B C D
44. Do you know what kind of music does Minh like?
A B C D
45. Perhaps mankind’s firstimportance music influence was the songs of birds.
A B C D
Choose the one correct sentence which is built from the words provided.
46. apologize / coming / he / me / for / late / telephoned / to.
A. He telephoned me for apologize to coming late.
B. He telephoned me to apologize for coming late.
C. He apologize me for coming late to telephoned.
D. He coming to apologize me for telephoned late.
47. will / do / it / this / what / you / if / rain / afternoon ?
A. If it rains this afternoon what you will do?
B. What will it do if you rains this afternoon?
C. What will you do if it rains this afternoon?
D. If you do this afternoon what will it rains?
48. job / to / going / the / to / a / are / capital / you / find / it?
A. Are you going to the capital to find a job?
B. Are you to find a job to the capital going?
C. Are you a job to find going to the capital?
D. Are you to the capital going to find a job?
49. why / do / Tam / listening / jazz / you / enjoys / to / know ?
A.You know why do Tam enjoys listening to jazz?
B. Why do Tam know you enjoys listening to jazz?
C. Do you know why Tam enjoys listening to jazz?
D. Why Tam know do you enjoys listening to jazz?
50. often / go / concert / how / your / to / do / the / family?
A. How do your family go to the concert often?
B. How your often family do go to the concert?
C. How go to the concert often your family do?
D. How often do your family go to the concert?
Choose the word which is stressed differently from therest.
1. a. cinema b. sequence c. character d. event
2. a. degree b. existence c. audience d. appear
3. a. cartoon b. detective c. tragic d. Titanic
4. a. engage b. rapid c. disaster d. instead
5. a. discover b. horror c. science d. movement
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from therest.
6. a. form b. first c. enough d. Stephen
7. a. excite b. decide c. horrify d. mind
8. a. photograph b. laugh c. plough d. enough
9. a. weigh b. high c. plough d. cough
10. a. disaster b. discover c. liner d. cinema
Choose one best option to fill in each sentence
11. There’s a love story in it, and it’s very funny. I suppose you’d call it a ____________
a. horror film b. detective film c. romantic comedy d. thriller
12. Steven Spielberg is one of the famous __________.He has made lots of films including Jaw,Jurassic Park, Schindler’s List, etc.
a. stars b. directors c. actors d. script writers
13. The film contains of explicit __________of violence.
a. scenes b. scents c. sceneries d. screens
14. The main ___________is played by Nicole Kidman.
a. actress b. character c. director d. film maker
15. Silence of The Lambs is a/an ___________film. It makes the audience scared.
a. disaster b. science fiction c. action d. horror
16. The film is ___________the 1940s, during the Second World War.
a. made for b. based on c. set in d. occurred in
17. The movie Schindler’s List was ___________on the novel Schindler’s Ark written by the Australian writer Thomas Keneally.
a. based b. depended c. played d. performed
18. Charlie Chaplin is considered as the greatest comic actor of the ___________.
a. musical cinema b. commercial film
c. romantic comedy d. silent cinema
19. When did the cinema come into ____________?
a. exist b. existing c. existence d. existences
20. England is an ____________country.
a. industrialize b. industry c. industrial d. industrialization
Choose the best answer.
21. “Look outside! ____________ sky is getting very dark”.
- “I hope it isn’t going to be a storm”.
A. A B. The C. x D. Some
22. I’d like to invite him to ____________ dinner next week if that’s OK with you.
A. a B. the C. x D. an
23. “I’m going out for a walk. Have you seen my shoes?”
- “Yes, they’re on _________ floor in ____________ kitchen.”
A. a / the B. the / the C. a / a D. the / a
24. “Do you see the video store? I was sure it was on ____________Main Street.”
“I think it’s on ___________side street, but I’m not sure which one”
A. the /the B. the / a C. a / X D. X / a
25. “Do you think Margaret will take the job you offered her?”
- “I don’t know. She seemed ___________in it, however.”
A. interest B. interesting C. interested D. interestingly
26. The students all went to the circus yesterday. I heard it was really _____________.
A. amused B. amusing C. amuse D. amusingly
27. I was ________that Jane couldn’t come to the party. Her boss made her work overtime.
A. disappointing B. disappointedly C. disappoint D. disappointed
28. What a terrible football game! I thought it was ______________.
A. delightful B. delighting` C. delight D. delighted
29. It was not until 2:30 that everyone ____________ leave the stadium.
A. can B. could C. will D. must
30. It ____________ not until last summer we had a holiday.
A. is B. has been C. had been D. was
Choose the sentence which has a similar meaning to the sentence printed before.
31. The clown amused the children.
The clown had the children amusing.
The children found the clown amusing.
The clown made the children amuse.
The children were amusing the clown.
32. The film excited us all a lot.
The film had a lot excitement.
We were excited about all of the film.
The film made all of us feel a lot of excited.
All of us were excited about the film.
33. He didn’t come until 6 p.m.
a. It was not until 6 p.m. that he came.
b. He stayed until 6 p.m.
c. It was 6 p.m., but he didn’t come.
d. He came before 6 p.m.
34. Horror films terrify my little sister.
a. My little sister is terrifying of horror films.
b. My little sister is terrified of horror films.
c. My little sister thinks horror films are terrified.
d. Horror films are terrified to my little sister.
35. I delight in reading English books.
I hate reading English books.
I am interested in reading English books.
I am tired of reading English books.
I am not excited at reading English books.
36. We didn’t meet them until 2007.
a. It was not until 2007 that we meet them.
b. It was not until 2007 that we met them.
c. It was 2007 that we didn’t meet them.
d. Not until 2007 we met them.
Choose the best option.
37 _______ men are often paid more than _________ women for _______ the same job.
a. Ø – the –the b. Ø - Ø - the c. The-the-the d. Ø - Ø - Ø
38. At first she was train to be _________ scriptwriter, but later she worked as ________ director assistant in a studio.
a. a- a b. the-the c. a-the d. the-a
39. ________ sun gives off ____________ heat and ___________ light.
a. Ø - Ø - Ø b. The-the-a c. The -. Ø - Ø d. A-a-a
40. Are you going to ___________ countryside for __________ week?
a. A-a b. the-a c. the-an d. the - Ø
Fill in each numbered blank with one suitable word or phrase.
Modern cinema audiences expect (41) _________ plenty of thrilling scenes in action films. These scenes (42) ____________ are known as stunts are usually (43) __________ by stuntmen who are specially trained to dangerous things (44) ___________. Anyone can crash a car, but if you are (45) ____________ a film, you have to be extremely precise, sometimes you drive and stop right in front of the camera and film crew. At (46) ___________ early stage in the (47) ___________, an expert stuntman is (48)_____________ to work out the action scenes and form a team. He is the only person who can against the words of the director, (49) ____________ he will usually only (50) ____________ this in the regards of safe.
41. a. see b. to see c. seeing d. seen
42. a. which b. whom c. of that d. those
43. a. produced b. performed c. cancelled d. interfered
44. a. safe b. safety c. safely d. safeness
45. a. firing b. working c. doing d. acting
46. a. a b. an c. the d. no article
47. a. produce b. product c. production d. productive
48. a. called in b. came in c. checked in d. taken in
49. a. despite b. in spite of c. due to d. because
50. a. to do b. does c. do d. done
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest in each of the following questions.
Question 1: A. group B. danger C. together D. dog
Question 2: A. club B. compete C. school D. bicycle
Question 3: A. circle B. center C. coconut D. century
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that isclosest in meaning to each of the following questions.
Question 4: Nancy: “It’s so hot.” - Nick: “I’ll open the window.”
A. Nick predicts he will open the window. B. Nick offers to open the window.
C. Nick promises to open the window. D. Nick is going to open the window.
Question 5: You don’t need your umbrella today. I don’t think it will rain.
A. It won’t rain because you don’t need your umbrella.
B. You don’t need your umbrella although it will rain.
C. You don’t need your umbrella so it won’t rain.
D. It won’t rain so you don’t need your umbrella.
Question 6: I am sure you won’t like that restaurant.
A. I know you are going to like that restaurant.
B. I know you will not like that restaurant.
C. I recommend you to like that restaurant.
D. You are likely to like that restaurant.
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet toindicate the correct word(s) for each of the blanks from 7 to 11
Over the (7)past 25 years, football has not only taken (8)place as the world’s major game in an ephemeral world but has also blossomed in other sides of society, commerce and politics. Football, more than (9)any other factor, has developed through regions, people and nations. With (10)approximately two hundred million active players it now (11)attracts a substantial chunk of the leisure industry, having opened up new markets for itself and for the rest of the business affairs.
Question 7: A. past B. pass C. late D. recent
Question 8: A. origin B. place C. root D. cause
Question 9: A. the B. any C. some D. several
Question 10: A. approximately B. totally C. accurately D. completely
Question 11: A. attracts B. comprises C. constitutes D. contacts
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to eachof the following questions.
Question 12: My sister is really mean. I try borrowing her some money but I know _______.
A. she will lend me. B. she is going to lend me.
C. she is certain to lend me. D. she won’t lend me.
Question 13: Which is the best way to offer your visitor a cup of tea?
A. Why don’t you have a cup of tea? B. Would you mind having a cup of tea?
C. Could you have a cup of tea? D. Will you have a cup of tea?
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to show the underlined part thatneeds correction.
Question 14: An extra-time penalty gave Barcelona a last gasp winnerover Chelsea.
A B C D
Question 15: The skyis getting really dark and it’ll storm.
A B C D
Question 16: We are going to study tonight until we will finish this chapter.
A B C D
Question 17: Carlos Dominguez placed the ball careful in front of the goal mouth and
A B C
suddenly turned, ran and kicked.
Question 18: The government is trying to tackleviolent on the football terraces.
A B C D
Mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to eachof the following questions.
Question 19: Where was the 2006 World Cup held?
A. supported B. maintained C. possessed D. organized
Question 20: Founded in 1930 with just 13 teams, the tournament now attracts more than 140 countries.
A. Established B. Produced C. Started D. Erected
Question 21: A _______ is a person or group competing in a final.
A. final B. finally C. finalize D. finalist
Question 22: The loser will be out of the ________ .
A. round B. tournament C. meeting D. tour
Question 23: They were the first Turkish team to win a major cup ______ .
A. contest B. challenge C. champion D. competition
Question 24: The match was eventually won on _____
A. penalties B. goals C. draw D. score
Question 25: She brought _____ to her country as an Olympic medal-winner .
A. victory B. champion C. promotion D. honour
Question 26: How many countries took part in the first World Cup?
A. interested B. participated C. completed D. co-operated
Question 27: Visconti _______ one goal himself and made two for Lupo.
A. made B. kicked C. scored D. played
Question 28: Britain has not lifted the _____ since it last hosted the event.
A. prize B. award C. trophy D. victory
Question 29: The train leaves at 8.58, so we _______ be in Scotland by lunchtime.
A. can B. may C. will D. are going to
Question 30: I think Germany ____ the gold cup in the next World Cup.
A. will win B. is winning C. is going to win D. wins
Question 31: The team _____ ready for the next year’s World Cup clash with Italy.
A. will soon B. are being C. will being D. are going to be
Question 32: Apparently, they _____ a stadium that ____ over 50,000 spectators in the town.
A. will build / will seat B. are going to build / will seat
C. are building / seats D. will build / is seating
Question 33: Tom: “I’d love to watch the final, but I haven’t got a ticket.”
Peter: “Well, I’ve got two free tickets to the match. I ___you one.”
A. am going to give B. give C. am giving D. will give
Question 34: Manchester United ____ a home game this week.
A. will play B. are playing C. are to play D. play
Question 35: That bag looks heavy. I _____ help you with it.
A. will B. can C. must D. should
Question 36: Look out! The tree ______.
A. will fall B. will be falling C. is going to fall D. falls
Question 37: Unless it stops raining, _____ the tennis tournament.
A. they’ll cancel B. they cancel
C. they’d cancel D. they’d have cancelled
Question 38: Don’t worry about the letter. I’m sure you ____ it soon.
A. are finding B. won’t find C. will find D. are going to find
Question 39: You said that you _____ leave work early today.
A. will B. are going to C. were going to D. go to
Question 40: Ann: “Are you going to visit Britain next month?”
A. I am B. I do C. I like D. I can
Question 41: Maria: “I’m taking my end term examination tomorrow”
A. Good luck B. Good day C. Good time D. Good chance
Question 42: Ann: “Do you think you’ll get the job?” – Mary: “_____”
A. I know so B. Well, I hope so C. I think not D. Yes, that’s right
Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word that differs from the rest in the position of the main stress in each of the following questions.
Question 43: A. champion B. attraction C. billion D. audience
Question 44: A. runner B. country C.around D. sporting
Question 45: A. final B. eventC. trophyD.winner
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet toindicate the correct answer to each of the questions from 46 to 50.
Cricket World Cup is the most awaited event in the world of Cricket. It is by far the biggest event for every cricketer and all cricket fans. The ICC Cricket World Cup is the premier Championship of ODI (One Day International) cricket. The tournament is held every four years. It is the fourth largest and fourth most viewed sport event. Ten test-cricket-playing and ODI-playing nations and other who qualify through World cup Qualifiers contest the tournament. In all the tournaments held till date, Australia is the most successful of the five teams who have claimed ICC world cup trophy. Australia won the championship 4 times, whereas West Indies and India won twice, while Pakistan and Sri Lanka claimed once each.
Question 46: How often is the Cricket World Cup held?
A. Every two years. B. Every four years.
C. Every five years. D. Every year.
Question 47: Which is NOT true about Cricket World Cup?
A. It is held every four years B. It is the fourth largest sport event.
C. It is the fourth most viewed sport event. D. Sri Lanka won twice
Question 48: In line 1, the word “it” refers to
A. Cricket World Cup B. event
C. the world D. Cricket
Question 49: According to the passage, who contest the tournament?
A. Anyone who is cricketer or cricket fan.
C. Ten test-cricket-playing and ODI-playing nations.
D. Ten test-cricket-playing and ODI-playing nations and other who qualify through World cup Qualifiers
SOME SAMPLES TEST FOR THE 2ND SEMESTER
A. Multiple choice:
* Choose the word that has stress pattern different from that of the other words.
A. compete B. event C. football D. postpone
A. history B. audience C. cinema D. existence
* Choose the best answer among A, B, C or D to complete each sentence:
The little boy ………….. name was Timmy was crying.
A who B. whose C. which D. whom
The house ………... we are going to buy is in poor condition.
A whose B. who C. which D. whom
There is ……….. supermarket in our town.
A. a B. an C. the D. Ø
Charlie Chaplin, ……….was a comedian, was best-known for his work in silent films.
A. who B. that C. which D. whose
The movie was so …….. that we couldn’t sleep last night.
A. thrill B. thrilling C. thrilled D. thriller
I was very disappointed ………... his behavior.
A. of B. with C. in D. at
I still can’t believe it! my bicycle ………. last night.
A. was stolen B. was stealing C. stolen D. stole
I need to get a part-time job ………… earn some money for my school expenses. .
A. for B. so as to C. in order D. for to
Look at those black clouds. It……….soon
A. will rain B. has rained C. is going to rain D. rains
I…….you if I ……… the news.
A. would tell - knew B. tell - will know C. would - know D. tell - knew
I think you …………apologize for your behavior.
A. should B. ought C. shall D. have
“………….” - “Rock ‘n’ roll”.
A. What kind of musical instrument can you play? B. What kind of music do you like?
C. Which is your favorite music band? D. Who is playing the guitar?
Scotland met Walesin the final at Twickenham.
A. at the end B. in the closing match
C. in the last match D. in the decisive match
………. is the variety of different types of plant and animal life in a particular region.
A. Interaction B. Herbicide C. Environment D. Biodiversity
“Would you like…………… lunch with us?” - “Yes, I’d love to”
A. have B. to have C. having D. had
A: I still need to buy some souvenirs before we leave.
B: …………. go shopping after dinner!
A. How about B. Shall we C. Let’s D. Why not
Don’t worry about the letter. I’m sure you …… it soon.
A. are finding B. won’t find
C. will find D. are going to find
*Choose the underlined part among A, B, C or D that needs correction.
I would have called you ifI